:)

:)

Monday, November 5, 2018

Discobolos





This is a rendition of a famous artwork named ‘Discobolos’ by the ancient Greek sculptor ‘Myron’. The original was a bronze one that was unfortunately lost. However, an exact Roman copy is still preserved. Greek artists were experts in sculpting movements and muscle tones. The winners of the Olympic Games commissioned their statues from famous artists of that time. This young man must have won a prize in the game of discus throw.

I have intentionally used the black paper as I wanted to recreate the look of ‘old marble’ and display muscle tones that ancient artists so deftly sculpted upon the marble stone. Medium is color-pencil.

I love reading about ancient cultures esp Greece and Egypt and nothing fascinates me more than the ancient art! I hope you will like it. 



4 comments:

  1. Love it, Ankita! The black paper was the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Chris! Yes I wanted to create this on black background only! :)

      Delete